MBBS(HK), FRCS(Edin); FRCSE(Ortho)Edin; FHKCOS; FHKAM
Clinical Associate Professor
Chief, Division of Sports and Arthroscopic Surgery
Dr. WP Yau is the Chief of the Division of Sports and Arthroscopic Surgery and the Clinical Associate Professor of Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology in the University of Hong Kong.
Dr. Yau started his medical education in the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Hong Kong in 1987. Dr. Yau earned his medical degree in 1992. After completing his medical internship in 1993, Dr. Yau began his general surgical training in Queen Mary Hospital of Hong Kong and obtained the Fellowship of Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in 1997. Dr. Yau was then enrolled in the Higher Orthopaedic Training in the Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Queen Mary Hospital. He finished his orthopaedic residency training in 2000 and passed the fellowship examination in the same year with flying colour. Dr. Yau was awarded the Fellow of the Hong Kong College of Orthopaedic Surgeons and Fellow of the Hong Kong Academy of Medicine in 2001.
Dr. Yau joined the University of Hong Kong in 2007. He was appointed as the Chief of Division of Sports and Arthroscopic Surgery in Queen Mary Hospital in 2008. Dr. Yau was elected to be the Chapter President of Sports Medicine Chapter of Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association in 2012 and the Deputy Censor of Hong Kong College of Orthopaedic Surgeons in January 2013. Dr. Yau was appointed as the Clinical Associate Professor of the Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, the University of Hong Kong and the Honorary Clinical Consultant of Hospital Authority of Hong Kong in August 2013.
Dr. Yau specializes in Sports Medicine and Adult Joint Reconstruction Surgery. His major research interest lies in clinical outcome studies on these two areas. This had led to the publication of 56 peer-reviewed articles, 1 book chapter and over 80 conference papers. Dr. Yau has delivered more than 40 invited lectures, both locally and internationally, and given close to 100 presentations in both national and international conferences. Dr. Yau received the Author Yau Award of Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association in 1994 and 2004, David Fang Trophy of Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association in 2004, Harry Fang Gold Medal Award of Hong Kong College of Orthopaedic College in 2000 and Japan Orthopaedics and Traumatology Foundation Fellowship Award in 2008. Dr. Yau was selected to be the Ambassador of the Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association to Japanese Orthopaedic Association Annual Congress in 1995 and 2005, New Zealand Orthopaedic Association Scientific Meeting in 2003 and 2005, and Singapore Orthopaedic Association Annual Congress in 2006 and 2008.
Dr. Yau began his work in Computer Navigated Orthopaedic Surgery in 2004. He was invited to lecture in the “MIS Meets CAOS Symposium and Instructional Academy” in San Diego, United States in 2005, the Annual Meeting of Asian Society for Computer Assisted Orthopaedic Surgery in Taiwan in 2006 and in Hong Kong in 2008. Dr. Yau was also the organizing committee of the Annual Meeting of Asian Society for Computer Assisted Orthopaedic Surgery held in Hong Kong in 2008. Dr. Yau was also one of the regular speakers in the Education Day of SICOT.
Dr. Yau was also very active in providing orthopaedic education to the orthopaedic trainees in Hong Kong. He was appointed as the Training Director of the Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, The University of Hong Kong since 2008. Dr. Yau also served as a member in the Education Subcommittee of the Hong Kong College of Orthopaedic Surgeons from then onwards. He was appointed as the Convener of the Basic Orthopaedic Bioskill Workshop under the Hong Kong College of Orthopaedic Surgeons in 2009 for a 5-year term. Dr. Yau was elected to be the Deputy censor of Hong Kong College of Orthopaedic Surgeons in January 2013.
- Role of Strontium in interfacial tissue engineering in ligament healing and reconstruction
- Feature based 2D-3D registration and 3D reconstruction via statistical inference for image-guided interventions
- Osteometry of Chinese and its impact in orthopaedic disease and intervention
- Computer navigation orthopaedic surgery
- Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction
- Sports medicine
- Knee surgery
- Patellar surgery
- Shoulder surgery
- Hip surgery
- Minimal invasive surgery
- Computer navigation surgery
- Femoral Radiographic Landmarks for Popliteus Tendon Reconstruction and Repair – A New Method of ReferenceAWM Fok, GM Kuang and WP Yau. American Journal of Sports Medicine, 2014, 42(2):394-398.
- Use of a Strontium-enriched Calcium Phosphate Cement in Accelerating the Healing of Soft Tissue Tendon Graft Within the Bone Tunnel in a Rabbit Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction Model.GM Kuang, WP Yau, WW Lu and KY Chiu. Bone and Joint Journal, 2013, 95B(7):923-8.
- Tunnel Positions in Transportal Versus Transtibial Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction: A Case-Control Magnetic Resonance Imaging StudyWP Yau, AWM Fok and DKH Yee. Arthroscopy, 2013, 29(6):1047-1052.
- Distal femur rotation relates to joint obliquity in ACL deficient ChineseWP Yau, KY Chiu, AWM Fok, CH Yan and FY Ng. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, 2013, 471:1458-1464.
- Delay in ACL reconstruction is associated with more severe and painful meniscal and chondral injuriesAugust WM Fok and WP Yau. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc, 2013; 21:928-933 (DOI 10.1007/s00167-012-2027-1).
- An effective approach by a chelate reaction in optimizing the setting process of strontium-incorporated calcium phosphate bone cementGM Kuang, WP Yau, WM Lam, Jun Wu, KY Chiu, WW Lu and H Pan. Journal of Biomedical Materials
- Osteointegration of soft tissue grafts within the bone tunnels in Anterior Cruciate Ligament reconstruction can be enhancedGM Kuang, WP Yau and W Lu. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy, 2010, 18:1038-1051
- Errors in Identification of the Distal Femur Transepicondylar and Anterior Posterior Axes in Minimal Incision TKR and Conventional Incision TKR – A Cadaveric StudyWP Yau, A Leung, KG Liu, CH Yan, LLS Wong and KY Chiu. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (British) 2008, 90B:520-6.
- Computer navigation did not improve alignment in a lower-volume total knee practice.WP Yau, KY Chiu, Zuo JL, WM Tang and TP Ng. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 2008, 466(4):935-45.
- Inter-observer and Intra-observer Errors in Obtaining Visually Selected Anatomical Landmarks During Registration Process in Non-Image-Based Navigation-Assisted Total Knee Arthroplasty.WP Yau, A Leung, KG Liu, CH Yan, LLS Wong and KY Chiu. Journal of Arthroplasty, 2007, 22:1150-1161
- Intra-observer errors in identification of visually selected anatomic landmarks in non-image based computer navigation total knee replacement system – A cadaveric experiment.WP Yau, A Leung, KY Chiu, WM Tang and TP Ng. Journal of Arthroplasty 2005; 20:591-601
2013 Chapter President, Sports Medicine Chapter, Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association
2012 Deputy Censor, Hong Kong College of Orthopaedic Surgeons
2010 Convenor, Basic Orthopaedic Bioskill Workshop, Hong Kong College of Orthopaedic Surgeons
2008 Training Director, Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Hong Kong West Custer
2012 Best Conference Paper Finalist Award of IEEE ROBIO 2012
2011 Cum Laude Poster Award of SPIE Medical Imaging 2011
2010 Best Sports Medicine Paper of 30th Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association Annual Congress
2004 Arthur Yau Award of 24th Annual Congress of Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association
2004 David Fang Trophy of 24th Annual Congress of Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association
2000 Harry Fang Gold Medal conjoint examination of FHKCOS and FRCSE (Ortho)
1994 Arthur Yau Award of 14th Annual Congress of Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association