MBBS(HK), FRCS (Edinburgh), FHKCOS, FHKAM (Orthopaedic Surgery)
Li Shu Fan Medical Foundation Professor in Orthopaedic Surgery,
Honorary Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
Division Chief, Division of Joint Replacement Surgery
Professor Peter Chiu is the Chief of Division of Joint Replacement Surgery in the department, a position that he attained when the division was formed in 1997. Professor Chiu graduated from the Faculty of Medicine at The University of Hong Kong in 1987. After the internship year, he worked in the Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology at Queen Mary Hospital as a medical officer in 1988. He joined the University and became a lecturer in 1991, subsequently becoming professor in 2006.
Professor Chiu’s current research work is on joint diseases. An important part of his research is about osteoarthritis of the knee. His studies show that Asian knees are different from Western knees, the findings have great impacts on the surgical management of Asian patients with advanced knee joint diseases. Professor Chiu also studies the role of subchondral bone in the pathogenesis of osteoarthritis, the application of cartilage repair for earlier diseases, the genetics and epidemiology of osteoarthritis and conservative management of knee osteoarthritis including the use of traditional medicine. His research works in the hip joint include the pathogenesis and management of avascular necrosis of the femoral head as well as hip replacements for patients suffering from ankylosing spondylitis. His outstanding research in the hip joint and his contributions to hip surgery culminated to his induction into the International Hip Society in 2008.
Professor Chiu is very active in educating young orthopaedic surgeons in the arts and science of joint replacement surgery. He trained over 1,000 surgeons from every part of China in the past 10 years. He has been invited to lecture in different countries for more than 100 times, and has published more than 150 book chapters and peer-reviewed articles. He is editor to several international, national and local journals in orthopaedic surgery.
He has also been the office bearer of many professional bodies, including the founding President of Adult Joint Reconstruction chapter of Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association.
- Total joint replacement – knee, hip, elbow and shoulder
- Osteoarthritis – from basic to clinical.
- Multimodal periarticular injection versus continuous femoral nerve block following total knee arthroplasty – A prospective, crossover, randomized clinical trial FY Ng, KF Ng, KY Chiu, CH Yan Journal of Arthroplasty 27:1234-1238, June 2012
- Cementless total hip arthroplasty specifically designed for Asians: Clinical and radiological results at 10 years C Fang, KY Chiu, WM Tang, D Fang Journal of Arthroplasty 25:873-877, September 2010
- Errors in identification of the distal femur transepicondylar and anterior posterior axes in minimal incision TKR and conventional incision TKR – A cadaveric study WP Yau, A Leung, KG Liu, CH Yan, LLS Wong, KY Chiu Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (British Edition) 90B:520-526, April 2008.
- Comparison of range of motion after standard and high-flexion posterior stabilised total knee replacement. F. Y. Ng, H. L. Wong, W. P. Yau, K. Y. Chiu, W. M. Tang. International Orthopaedics 32:795-798, December 2008.
- Comprehensive Preoperative Evaluation of Platelet Function in Total Knee Arthroplasty Patients Taking Diclofenac. Kwok F.J. N, Jean-Claude Lawmin, Carina C.F. Li, Suk F. Tsang, Wai M. Tang, Kwong Y. Chiu. Journal of Arthroplasty 23(3) : 424-430, April 2008
- Antibiotic-Loaded Cement Articulating Spacer for 2-Stage Reimplantation in Infected Total Knee Arthroplasty: A simple and economic method. YC Hsu, HC Cheng, TP Ng, KY Chi, Journal of Arthroplasty 22(7):1060-1066, October 2007
- Sagittal pelvic rotation and positioning of the acetabular component in total hip arthroplasty: A three-dimensional computer model analysis WM Tang, KY Chiu, MFY Kwan, TP Ng Journal of Orthopaedic Research 25:766-771, June 2007
- Sagittal bowing at distal femur and total knee arthroplasty WM Tang, KY Chiu, MFY Kwan, TP Ng, WP Yau Journal of Orthopaedic Research 23:41-45, January 2005
- Intraobserver errors in obtaining visually selected anatomic landmarks during registration process in nonimage-based navigation-assisted total knee arthroplasty. A cadaveric experiment WP Yau, A Leung, KY Chiu, WM Tang, TP Ng Journal of Arthroplasty 20:591-601, August 2005
- Acetabular revision without cement TP Ng, KY Chiu Journal of Arthroplasty 18:435-441, June 2003
- Cementless total hip arthroplasty in young Chinese patients – A comparison of two different prostheses KY Chiu, WM Tang, TP Ng, KC Poon, WY Ho, KM Lee Journal of Arthroplasty 16:863-870, October 2001
- Charnley total hip replacement in Chinese patients less than 40 years old KY Chiu, TP Ng, WM Tang, KC Poon, WY Ho, D Yip Journal of Arthroplasty 16:92-101, January 2001
- Lower limb alignment in Chinese adults WM Tang, KY Chiu, YH Zhu Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (American Edition) 82-A:1603-1608, 2000