MBChB, MRCSEd, FRCSEd(Orth), FHKAM (Orthopaedic Surgery), PhD
Clinical Assistant Professor
Division of Joint Replacement Surgery
ORCID iD: 0000-0002-2245-9627
Dr. Lawrence Lau graduated from the Chinese University of Hong Kong in 2014. He has undergone further postgraduate research study with special interest in arthritis and joint replacement and was awarded Doctor of Philosophy (PhD in Orthopaedics and Traumatology) in 2022. He completed the Joint Specialty Fellowship Examination in year 2021 by the Hong Kong College of Orthopaedic Surgeons and Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. And he obtained his fellowship from Hong Kong College of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh and Hong Kong Academy of Medicine. He subsequently joined the University of Hong Kong in 2023 as Clinical Assistant Professor. An active surgeon and researcher, he has been invited to be Hong Kong Orthopaedics Association Ambassador to discuss his arthroplasty research in Singapore Orthopaedics Association and Japanese Orthopaedics Association.
He has won The David Fang Trophy as first author for the Best Adult Joint Reconstruction Specialist paper and Dr. Yeung Sai Hung Award as co-author in the Adult Joint Reconstruction Chapter of Hong Kong Orthopaedics Association. And his research on adult joint reconstruction has won a Gold Medal with Congratulation of the Jury, and a Bronze Medal in the 48th International Exhibition of Inventions Geneva. He is interested in developing cross-disciplinary collaboration with other medical, science and engineering experts to tackle problems on aging, osteoporosis, sarcopenia, arthritis, and joint replacement. He is regularly involved in undergraduate and postgraduate medical education, and experienced in nurturing medical students, juniors, and students from other disciplines to conduct independent research to develop their careers. He is also interested in promoting health knowledge to the public and serving in low resource areas.
- Arthroplasty Design, failure, and survival analysis
- Artificial intelligence and health informatics
- Musculoskeletal advanced imaging
- Periprosthetic Joint Infection
- Osteoporosis and sarcopenia
- Robotic assisted hip and knee joint replacement
- Revision hip and knee replacement
- Non operative management for arthritis
- Alternative surgeries for arthritis
- David Fang Trophy Best Specialist Paper in Adult Joint Reconstruction, Hong Kong Orthopaedics Association (2022)
- Dr. Yeung Sai Hung Award, Adult Joint Reconstruction, Hong Kong Orthopaedics Association (2019)
- The Best Poster Award, The Annual Congress of Hong Kong Orthopaedics Association (2018)
- Gold Medal with Congratulation of the Jury, International Exhibition of Inventions Geneva (2023)
- Bronze Medal, 48th International Exhibition of Inventions Geneva (2023)
Projects in the above areas for undergraduate students (medical and non-medical), MPhil and PhD candidates are available. Enthusiastic and committed students are encouraged to contact me via email.
- Lau LCM, Chui ECS, Man GCW, Xin Y, Ho KKW, Mak KKK, Ong MTY, Law SW, Cheung WH, Yung PSH. A novel image-based machine learning model with superior accuracy and predictability for knee arthroplasty loosening detection and clinical decision making. J Orthop Translat. 2022 Oct 6;36:177-183. doi: 10.1016/j.jot.2022.07.004.
- Lau LCM, Lee WYW, Butler APH, Chernoglazov AI, Chung KY, Ho KKW, Griffith J, Butler PH, Yung PSH. Multi-energy spectral photon-counting computed tomography (MARS) for detection of arthroplasty implant failure. Sci Rep. 2021 Jan 15;11(1):1554. doi: 10.1038/s41598-020-80463-2.
- Lau LCM, Fan JCH, Chung KY, Cheung KW, Man GCW, Hung YW, Kwok CKB, Ho KKW, Chiu KH, Yung PSH. Satisfactory long-term survival, functional and radiological outcomes of open-wedge high tibial osteotomy for managing knee osteoarthritis: Minimum 10-year follow-up study”, Journal of Orthopaedic Translation, March 2020 26(1) DOI: 10.1016/j.jot.2020.03.003.
- Chui EC, Lau LCM (co-first author), Kwok CK, Ng JP, Hung YW, Yung PS, Fan JC. Tibial cutting guide (resector) holding pins position and subsequent risks of periprosthetic fracture in unicompartmental knee arthroplasty: a finite element analysis study. J Orthop Surg Res. 2021 Mar 22;16(1):205. doi: 10.1186/s13018-021-02308-6.
- Ho KK, Lau LCM (co-first author), Chau WW, Poon Q, Chung KY, Wong RM. End-stage knee osteoarthritis with and without sarcopenia and the effect of knee arthroplasty – a prospective cohort study. BMC Geriatr. 2021 Jan 4;21(1):2. doi: 10.1186/s12877-020-01929-6.