MBBS, MRCSEd, FRCSEd(Orth)
Clinical Assistant Professor
Janus obtained his medical degree at the University of Hong Kong in 2015. Upon completing his internship at Queen Mary Hospital Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, he served as resident to Orthopaedics & Traumatology, Accident & Emergency, Surgery, and Neurosurgery departments as part of his training, and completed his basic surgical training in 2018. He subsequently joined the University of Hong Kong as clinical assistant professor in 2019, and completed his higher orthopaedic training in 2022, having passed the Joint Specialty Fellowship Examination by the Hong Kong College of Orthopaedic Surgeons and Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.
Janus has presented in multiple international conferences and has received recognition for his work, from the application of artificial intelligence in hip fracture prediction to genomic analysis of patients with atypical femur fractures.
Janus is a competitive swimmer and medallist having represented the Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association. His interests also include Latin which he studied during his time at Harvard University, and aviation having received pilot training in Australia.
- Atypical femur fractures
- Fragility hip fractures and osteoporosis
- Orthopaedic trauma, fracture epidemiology and prediction
- Paediatric deformity correction
- Osteogenesis imperfecta and skeletal dysplasias
- Bone and joint infections
- Best Clinical Paper – Asia Pacific Paediatric Orthopaedic Society (2023)
- Best Original Research by Trainee – Gold Award, Hong Kong Academy of Medicine (2021)
- Prof KS Leung Award for Best Paper in Trauma, Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association (2021)
- AR Hodgson Award for Best Clinical Paper, Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association (2019)
- Best Original Research by Trainee – Silver Award, Hong Kong Academy of Medicine (2019, 2020)
- Prof SP Chow Award for Best Paper in Trauma, Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association (2019, 2020)
- Best Paper Award – Trainee, Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association (2017, 2020)
- Hong Kong Medical Association Prize (2015)
- Heath and Medical Research Fund
- AO Trauma Asia Pacific Research Grant
- Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association Research Grant
- Wong JSH, Lee ALH, Fang C, Leung HCH, Liu AHY, So RCK, Yung CSY, Wong TM, Leung F. Outcomes of fracture-related infections – do organism, depth of involvement, and temporality count? J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2022 Sep-Dec;30(3):10225536221118519.
- JSH Wong, MWM Fok. Chapter 31: Evaluation of Hand Infections. In John Lane et al eds. The Art of the Musculoskeletal Physical Exam. 1st Ed. Springer: 2023.
- Lee ALH, To CCK, Lee ALS, Chan RCK, Wong JSH, Wong CW, Chow VCY, Lai RWM. Deep learning model for prediction of extended-spectrum beta-lactamase (ESBL) production in community-onset Enterobacteriaceae bacteraemia from a high ESBL prevalence multi-centre cohort. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2021 May;40(5):1049-1061.
- Wong JSH, Cheung KMC. Impact of COVID-19 on Orthopaedic and Trauma Service: An Epidemiological Study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2020 Jul 15;102(14):e80.
- Wong JSH, Kuong EE, So NLW, Ali A, To MKT, Chow W. Quality of Surgery and Patient Selection Are Keys to Success in Hip Stabilization Surgery in Cerebral Palsy. J Pediatr Orthop. 2022 Jan 1;42(1):e72-e77.
- Cheung PWH, Canavese F, Chan CYW, Wong JSH, Shigematsu H, Luk KDK, Cheung JPY. The Utility of a Novel Proximal Femur Maturity Index for Staging Skeletal Growth in Patients with Idiopathic Scoliosis. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2022 Jan 6.
Fractures and Orthopaedic Trauma
- Fang C, Shen WY, Wong JSH, Yee DKH, Yung CSY, Fang E, Lai YS, Woo SB, Cheung J, Chau JYM, Ip KC, Li W, Leung F. Should nails be locked dynamically or statically in atypical femoral fractures? – A radiological analysis of time to union and reoperations in 236 displaced fractures with 4 years average follow-up. Accepted for publication in Injury in June 2023.
- Leung HY, Wong JSH, Fang CX, Tsoi C. Tip-to-apex distance does not predict fixation failure regardless of reduction quality in intra-capsular neck of femur fractures treated with Femoral Neck System. Accepted for publication in Journal of Orthopaedics, Trauma and Rehabilitation in June 2023.
- Wong JSH, Fang XC, Lee ALH, Yee DKH, Cheung KMC, Leung FKL. Fracture incidence and related mortality are reduced with decreased population mobility in the COVID-19 pandemic – an epidemiological study. Hong Kong Med J 2023 Feb;29(1):31–8.
- GHY Li, CL Chung, KCB Tan, AWC Kung, TCY Kwok, WCY Lau, JSH Wong, WWQ Hsu, C Fang, ICK Wong. Development and Validation of Sex-Specific Hip Fracture Prediction Models using Electronic Health Records: a retrospective, population-based cohort study. Accepted for publication in eCLinicalMedicine in February 2023.
- Yee DK, Wong JSH, Fang E, Wong TM, Fang C, Leung F. Topical administration of tranexamic acid in elderly patients undergoing short femoral nailing for intertrochanteric fracture: A randomised controlled trial. Injury. 2022 Feb;53(2):603-609.
- Fang C, Yee DK, Wong TM, Fang E, Pun T, Lau TW, Wong J, Leung F, Liu R, Cheung CC, Tipoe GL, Leung F. Differences in soft tissue damage using a percutaneous versus open approach for antegrade straight humeral nailing: a quantitative and qualitative anatomical study. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2021 May-Aug;29(2):23094990211010548.
- Wong SHJ, Fang XC, Yee KHD, Wong TM, Pun CTT, Lau TW, Leung KLF. Hip fracture time-to-surgery and mortality revisited: mitigating comorbidity confounding by effect of holidays on surgical timing. Int Orthop. 2018 Aug;42(8):1789-1794.
General Orthopaedics and Osteoporosis
- Ting Yick VH, Zhang C, Him Wong JS, Lik Ng SY, San Tung Wong N, Wang H, Koljonen PA, Hon Shea GK. Neurological Survivorship Following Surgery for Degenerative Cervical Myelopathy: A Longitudinal Study on 195 Patients. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2023 Feb 1;105(3):181-190.
- Fang C, Mo P, Chan H, Cheung J, Wong JSH, Wong TM, Mak YK, Ching K, Ho G, Leung F. Can a Wireless Full-HD Head Mounted Display System Improve Knee Arthroscopy Performance? – A Randomized Study Using a Knee Simulator. Surg Innov. 2022 Nov 30:15533506221142960.
- Zhang X, Hsu WWQ, Sing CW, Li GHY, Tan KCB, Kung AWC, Wong JSH, Wong IC, Cheung CL. Low Bone Mineral Density With Risk of Dementia: A Prospective Cohort Study. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2022 Oct;23(10):1719.e9-1719.e19.
- Hsu WWQ, Zhang X, Sing CW, Li GHY, Tan KCB, Kung AWC, Wong JSH, Wong IC, Cheung CL. Hip Fracture as a Predictive Marker for the Risk of Dementia: A Population-Based Cohort Study. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2022 Oct;23(10):1720.e1-1720.e9.
- Hsu WWQ, Sing CW, Li GHY, Tan KCB, Cheung BMY, Wong JSH, Wong IC, Cheung CL. Immediate Risk for Cardiovascular Events in Hip Fracture Patients: A Population-Based Cohort Study. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2022 Sep 1;77(9):1923-1929.
- Sh Wong J, Mc Cheung K. Orthopaedic surgeons and orthopaedic surgery in the era of COVID-19. Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc. 2020 May;54(3):221-222.
- Wong SH, Chiu KY, Yan CH. Review Article: Osteophytes. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2016 Dec;24(3):403-410.