MBBS(HK), FRCS (Edinburgh), FHKCOS, FHKAM (Orthopaedic Surgery)
Tam Sai-Kit Professor in Orthopaedics and Traumatology
Chief of Service, Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Hong Kong University Shenzhen Hospital
Division Chief, Division of Orthopaedic Trauma, Queen Mary Hospital
Professor Frankie Leung is the Chief of Service of Orthopaedics and Traumatology at the Hong Kong University Shenzhen Hospital (HKUSZH) and Chief of Division of Orthopaedic Trauma at Queen Mary Hospital in Hong Kong. His professional appointments include Chairperson of AOTrauma Global Research Commission, member of Trauma sub-committee of SICOT and National Delegates of SICOT and Asia Pacific Orthopaedic Association. He is specialized in complicated fracture management and fracture fixation surgery.
Professor Leung has published in various international orthopaedic journals and has authored book chapters in ‘AO Manual of Fracture Management- Internal Fixator’, ‘Rockwood and Green’s Fractures in Adults’, etc. He has been invited speaker for international conferences and faculty for AOTrauma courses for education of surgeons in the field of orthopaedic trauma.
Professor Leung’s research interests are bone regeneration and anti-infective therapy for bone infection. Currently he and his team at HKUSZH is establishing a municipal Key Laboratory of Innovative Technology in Orthopaedic Trauma, with the support of the Shenzhen Science and Technology Innovation Commission.
- Bone regeneration
- Biomaterials in orthopaedics
- Bone and implant related infection
- Osteoporotic fractures
- Long bone fractures and pelvis fractures
- Malunion and deformity correction
- Non-union management
- Bone and implant infection
- Nonunion bone fracture. Wildemann B, Ignatius A, Leung F, Taitsman LA, Smith RM, Pesantez R, Stoddart MJ, Richards RG, Jupiter JB. Nature Reviews Disease Primer (2021) 7:57
- Lateral migration resistance of screw is essential in evaluating bone screw stability of plate fixation. Feng X, Qi W, Zhang T, Fang C, Liang H, Chen B, Leung F. Scientific Reports (2021) 11:12510
- Differences in soft tissue damage using a percutaneous versus open approach for antegrade straight humeral nailing – a quantitative and qualitative anatomical study. Fang C, Yee DKH, Wong TM, Fang E, Pun T, Lau TW, Wong J, Leung F, Liu R, Cheung CC, Tipoe GL, Leung F Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery May 2021
- Multi-Component Care Bundle in Geriatric Fracture Hip for Reducing Post-Operative Delirium. Lam DMH, Wang C, Lee AKH, Chung, YF, Lau TW, Fang C, Leung F, Chan TCW. Geriatric Orthopaedic Surgery & Rehabilitation April 2021
- Can barb thread design improve the pullout strength of bone screws? A biomechanical study and finite element explanation. Feng X, Qi W, Fang CX, Lu WW, Leung F, Chen B. Bone & Joint Research, Feb 2021
- Patient expectations predict outcomes following distal radius fracture: a prospective cohort study using the TEFTOM questionnaire. Fang C, Chen YJ,Fang E, Wong TM, Liu ZH, Lau TW, Fok MWM, Yee DKH, Pun T, Luo CF, Leung F. Injury, Oct 2020
- A comparison of six outcome measures across the recovery period after distal radius fixation- which to use and when? Fang C, , Fang E, Yee DKH, Kwan K, Leung G, Leung FKL. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery, Jan 2021
- The AO Trauma CPP Bone Infection Registry: epidemiology and outcomes on Staphylococcus aureus bone infection. Morgenstern M, Erichsen C, Militz M, Xie Z, Peng J, Stannard J, Metsemakers WJ, Schaefer D, Alt V, Soballe K, Nerlich M, Buckley R, Blauth M, Suk M, Leung F, Barla JD, Yukata K, Qing B, Kates SL. Journal of Orthopaedic Research, Jun 2020
- Comparison of radiological and clinical outcomes, complications, and implant removals in anatomically pre-contoured clavicle plates versus reconstruction plates – a propensity score matched retrospective cohort study of 106 patients. Fang CX, Liu R, Yee DKH, Chau J, Lau TW, Chan R, Woo SB, Wong TM, Fang E, Leung F. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders (2020)21:413
- Accelerated surgery versus standard care in hip fracture (HIP ATTACK): an international, randomised controlled trial. The Hip attack investigators O.T.H.E.R.S., Leung FKL, Fang CX, Yee KH. The Lancet, 395, 698-708 (2020).
- Luo Q, Yuen G, Lau TW, Yeung K, Leung F: A biomechanical study comparing helical blade design with screw for sliding hip fixations for unstable intertrochanteric fractures. The Scientific World Journal Volume 2013 doi:
- Luo Q, Fang C, Shen WY, Lau TW, Leung F: A lesson from the failure of intramedullary fixation of atypical subtrochanteric fractures. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery Case Connect 2013;3:e22
- Lau TW, Fang C, Leung F: The Effectiveness of a Geriatric Hip Fracture Clinical Pathway in Reducing Hospital and Rehabilitation Length of Stay and Improving Short Term Mortality Rates. Geriatric Orthopaedic Surgery & Rehabilitation, 2013 Mar;4(1):3-9
- Wong HM, Zhao Y, Tam V, Wu S, Chu PK, Zheng Y, To MKT, Leung F, Luk, KDK, Cheung KMC, Yeung KWK: In vivo stimulation of bone formation by aluminum and oxygen plasma surface-modified magnesium implants. Biomaterials 34(2013) 9863-76
- Kwok IHY, Leung F, Yuen G: Assessing results after distal radius fracture treatment: A comparison of objective and subjective tools. Geriatric Orthopaedic Surgery & Rehabilitation, 2011 Jul;2(4):155-60.
- Leung F, Lau TW, Kwan K, Chow SP, Kung AW: Does timing of surgery matter in fragility hip fractures? Osteoporos Int. 2010 Dec;21(Suppl 4):S529-34.
- Leung F, Blauth M, Bavonratanavech S: Surgery for fragility hip fracture – streamlining the process. Osteoporos Int. 2010 Dec;21(Suppl 4):S519-21.
- Leung F, Tu YK, Chew, Chow SP: Comparison of External and percutaneous Pin
Fixation with Plate Fixation of Intra-articular Distal Radius Fractures: A Randomized Study. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, American Vol., Jan 2008; 90: 16-22
- Wong MK, Leung F, Chow SP: Treatment of distal femoral fractures in the elderly using a less-invasive plating technique. Int Orthop. 2005 Apr;29(2):117-20.
- Leung, F; Zhu, L; Ho, H; Lu, W; Chow SP: Palmar plate fixation of AO type C2
fracture of distal radius using a locking compression plate – a biomechanical study in a cadaveric model. The Journal of Hand Surgery (British), vol 28B, 3, June 2003 :263-6.
- Leung F, Chow SP: A randomised prospective trial comparing Low Contact
Dynamic Compression Plate and Point Contact Fixator in forearm fractures. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, American vol., Dec 2003, vol.85, 2343-2348
- US Provisional Patent (Submitted March 26, 2015). S Kulper, C Fang, F Leung, WW Lu. Anti-Penetration Bone Implant Device and Method.
- International PCT Patent (PCT/CN2016/078336 submitted 2 April 2015) Kulper, S.A., Lu, W.W., Leung, F.K.L. and Fang, C.X., Versitech Ltd. Anti-penetration bone implant device and method.
- U.S. Provisional Patent (62/532,220 submitted 13 July 2017) Kulper, S.A., Boles, E.A., Fang, C.X., Leung, F.K.L. and Lu, W.W., Versitech Ltd. Surgical extraction device for bone implant tips.
- International PCT Patent (PCT/CN2017/100889 submitted 7 September 2017) Kulper, S.A., Ngan A.H., Guo, M., Lu, W.W., Leung, F.K.L. and Fang, C.X., Versitech Ltd. Bone Model, Modelling Process and System Therefor.
- China Invention Patent (201680019612.2 submitted 28 Sept 2017) Kulper, S.A., Lu, W.W., Leung, F.K.L. and Fang, C.X., Versitech Ltd. Anti-penetration bone implant device and method.
- U.S. Non-Provisional Patent (15/563,544 submitted 29 Sept 2017) Kulper, S.A., Lu, W.W., Leung, F.K.L. and Fang, C.X., Versitech Ltd. Anti-penetration bone implant device and method.
- European Patent (16771420.3 submitted 24 Oct 2017) Kulper, S.A., Lu, W.W., Leung, F.K.L. and Fang, C.X., Versitech Ltd. Anti-penetration bone implant device and method.
- U.S. Non-Provisional Patent (US 2019/0015220 A1 published 17 Jan 2019) Kulper, S.A., Boles, E.A., Fang, C.X., Leung, F.K.L. and Lu, W.W., Versitech Ltd. Surgical extraction device for bone implant tips.