MBBS, FRCSEd(Orth), FHKCOS, FHKAM (Orthopaedic Surgery)
MFM (Clin) Monash, DFM (Monash), DCH (Ireland), Dip Med (CUHK)
Chief, Division of Joint Replacement Surgery
Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, The University of Hong Kong
Honorary Consultant, Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Queen Mary Hospital
Training Director, Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Queen Mary Hospital
Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Dr. Chan is a highly experienced joint replacement surgeon, and he is now working as Division Chief in the Division of Joint Replacement Surgery. He is known for his expertise in managing arthritic conditions and joint replacement surgeries.
Apart from primary joint replacement surgery, Dr Chan is also keen on complex and revision joint replacement surgeries. He had overseas training in distinguished joint replacement centres in Europe & Australia, and acquired the surgical skills and techniques. He is experienced in managing difficult and challenging cases referred from other hospitals. He has been elected as the President of the Adult Joint Reconstruction Chapter in the Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association (HKOA) in 2021, and he was also invited to join AORecon, an international body for providing education in arthroplasty globally since 2018, as Faculty Member. He completed overseas training, and he is experienced in robotic-arm assisted arthroplasty surgery, which was showed to improve surgical accuracy and patient-reported outcomes.
Dr. Chan is also well-known in the areas of non-surgical management of knee osteoarthritis and ERAS (Enhanced Recovery After Surgery). He led the multi-disciplinary team, consisting of anaesthesiologist, physiotherapists, occupational therapists and nurses, in overseas training in world-renowned osteoarthritic and fast-track joint replacement centres in Europe in 2015. After the training, evidenced-based non-surgical management programme of knee osteoarthritis, and fast-track joint replacement programme were commenced in the MacLehose Medical Rehabilitation Centre and the Queen Mary Hospital respectively with success, and their team is the pioneer in setting up these clinical services in Hong Kong. Being an active member of ERAS Society and OARSI (Osteoarthritis Research Society International), Dr Chan and his team are also active in promulgating these concepts in Hong Kong and other countries. With their promulgation through invited talks and workshops, various hospitals have begun to run similar programmes.
Dr Chan is also an active clinician-researcher. He got important research awards, including Dr David Fang Trophy (2019) for the Best Paper in Adult Joint Reconstruction, and the Best Oral Presentation Awards in the Anniversary Congress of the Hong Kong Academy of Medicine (2018), Hospital Authority Convention (2018), and the HKOA Annual Congress (2013 & 2015). He published more than 30 scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals including Journal of Arthroplasty (IF: 3.709), and Nature Reviews Rheumatology (IF :16.625). He has secured research grant and donation in the development of osteoarthritis-related clinical service and research.
- Primary joint replacement surgery of the knees, hips, elbows and shoulders
- Revision joint replacement surgery
- Fast-track arthroplasty & Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) in joint replacement surgery : enhancing patient’s functional recovery after surgery
- Patient blood management (PBM) : minimizing transfusion in joint replacement surgery
- Non-surgical multi-disciplinary management in osteoarthritis
- Hong Kong West Cluster Outstanding Staff, Hospital Authority (2020)
- Dr David Fang Trophy for the Best Paper on Adult Joint Reconstruction Presented in Annual Congress of the Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association (2019)
Project: Combined Periarticular and Intravenous Steroid Injection Reduce Early Postoperative Pain after Total Knee Arthroplasty: A Prospective Double-Blinded Placebo-Controlled Randomised Controlled Trial
- Chief Team Leader, Hong Kong West Cluster Outstanding Team Award, Hospital Authority (2018)
Team: Comprehensive Osteoarthritis Management Team “Transforming Pain into Happiness in Patients with Osteoarthritis”
- The Best Oral Presentation Award in Clinical Safety and Quality Service, 2018 Hospital Authority Convention (2018)
Project: Working Towards Transfusion-Free Total Knee Replacement Surgery through Patient Blood Management Programme
- The Best Oral Presentation Award, the 25th Anniversary Congress of the Hong Kong Academy of Medicine (2018)
Research: Systemic Dexamethasone Reduces Acute and Chronic Pain in Total Knee Arthroplasty: Prospective Double-blinded Randomised Controlled Study with 1-year Follow-up
- Arthur Yau Award for Best Clinical Paper in the Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association 35th Annual Congress (2015)
Project : Cost-Benefit Analysis of Intra-articular Injection of Tranexamic Acid Reduces Transfusion Rate in Total Knee Arthroplasty
- Asia Pacific Orthopedics Association (APOA) Young Ambassador Award (2014)
- Arthur Yau Award for Best Clinical Paper in the Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association 33rd Annual Congress (2013)
Project: Comparison of Blood Transfusion Requirements Using Patient-specific Instrument Conventional Instrument, and Computer Navigation in Total Knee Arthroplasty
- 2020 Health and Medical Research Fund (Ref:17181291) as Co-investigator (HKD $846,860)
Project: Effectiveness of an interactive, mutli-functional mobile app-based technology in endogenous healthcare for individuals with or at risk of knee osteoarthritis: a 12-month randomized controlled trial
- Award of Donation of HKD 20.27 Million from the Hong Kong Jockey Club Charities Trust (HKJCCT) in 2017 for the establishment of an Integrated one-stop clinic with multi-disciplinary services at MacLehose Medical Rehabilitation Centre
The Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association
- President, Adult Joint Reconstruction Chapter (2021- present)
The American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons (AAHKS)
- International Committee Members
- A Machine Learning-Based Approach to decipher Multi-etiology of knee osteoarthritis onset and deterioration. LC Chan, HHT Li, PK Chan, C Wen. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage Open 3 (2021) 100135.
- Core and adjunctive interventions for osteoarthritis: efficacy and models for implementation. J Bowden, David Hunter, L Deveza, V Duong, K Dziedzic, K Allen, PK Chan, J Eyles, Nature Reviews/Rheumatology 16. Aug 2020 434-447
- Preoperative dexamethasone for pain relief after total knee arthroplasty. A randomised controlled trial. Timmy Chan, CW Cheung, Stanley Wong, Arthur Chung, Michael Irwin, PK Chan, Henry Fu, CH Yan, KY Chiu. European Journal of Anaesthesiology 2020; 37:1157–1167
- Combination Effect of High-Dose Preoperative and Periarticular Steroid Injection in Total Knee Arthroplasty. A Randomized Controlled Study. Vincent WK Chan, PK Chan, Henry Fu, CW Chan, CH Yan, KY Chiu. Journal of Arthroplasty 36 (2021) 130-134
- Blood transfusions in total knee arthroplasty: a retrospective analysis of a multimodal patient blood management programme.PK Chan, YY Hwang, Amy Cheung, CH Yan, Henry Fu, Timmy Chan, WC Fung, MH Cheung, Vincent WK Chan, KY Chiu. Hong Kong Med J 2020; 26:201–7
- Universal haemoglobin A1c screening reveals high prevalence of dysglycaemia in patients undergoing total knee arthroplasty.Vincent WK Chan, PK Chan, YC Woo, Henry Fu, Amy Cheung, MH Cheung, CH Yan, KY Chiu. Hong Kong Med J 2020; 26:304–10
- Preoperative optimization to prevent periprosthetic joint infection in at-risk patients. Vincent WK Chan, PK Chan, H Fu, MH Cheung, A Cheung, CH Yan, KY Chiu. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery 28(3) 1–8
- How well do elderly patients do after total knee arthroplasty in the era of fast-track surgery? Amy Cheung, Henry Fu, MH Cheung, Vincent WK Chan, PK Chan, CH Yan, KY Chiu. Arthroplasty Asia (2020) 2:16
- Ulnar Cortical Window for Removal of a Well-Fixed Ulnar Component in Total Elbow Arthroplasty: Surgical Technique and Case Report. PK Chan, CH Yan, KY Chiu. Tech Should Elb Surg 2020;21: 10–14
- Imaging of knee osteoarthritis: A review of current evidence and clinical guidelines. LS Lee, PK Chan, WC Fung, Vincent WK Chan, CH Yan, KY Chiu. Musculoskeletal Care 2020;1-12
- Priorities for the effective implementation of osteoarthritis management programs: an OARSI international consensus exercise. (Contribution as Joint Effort Initiative Members) Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2019;27(9):1270-9.
- Non-surgical treatment of knee osteoarthritis. Kan HS, Chan PK, Chiu KY, Yan CH, et al. Hong Kong Med J. 2019;25(2):127-33.
- Does barbed suture lower cost and improve outcome in total knee arthroplasty? A randomized controlled trial. VWK Chan, PK Chan, KY Chiu, CH Yan, FY Ng, Journal of Arthroplasty 32(5):1474-1477, May 2017
- Polyethylene insert exchange is crucial in dedridement for acute peri-prosthetic infection following total knee arthroplasty CF Zhang, CH Yan, PK Chan, FY Ng, KY Chiu, Journal of Knee Surgery 30(1):36-41, January 2017
- A review of the clinical approach to persistent pain following total hip replacement. YF Lam, PK Chan, Henry Fu, CH Yan, KY Chiu. Hong Kong Med J 2016;22:600–7
- Fracture of Extensively Porous‑Coated Cylindrical Femoral Stem Following Revision Total Hip Arthroplasty. CF Zhang, CH Yan, FY Ng, PK Chan, KY Chiu. Chin Med J 2016; 129:1374-6.
- Why do Hong Kong patients need total hip arthroplasty? An Analysis of 512 hips from 198 to 2010. Vincent Chan, PK Chan, KY Chiu, CH Yan, FY Ng. Hong Kong Medical Journal Feb 2016
- Comparison between patient specific instruments, conventional instruments and computer navigation in total knee arthroplasty – A randomized controlled trial. CH Yan, KY Chiu, FY Ng, PK Chan, C Fang Knee Surgery, Sports, Traumatology, Arthroscopy 23(12):3637-45, December 2015
- Bony ankylosis of the knee secondary to heterotopic ossification after total knee arthroplasty: a case report. PK Chan, KY Chiu, FY Ng, CH Yan. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery 2014;22(3):434-6
- Perioperative antithrombotic management in joint replacement surgeries. HL Lee, KY Chiu, KH Yiu, FY Ng, CH Yan, PK Chan. Hong Kong Medical Journal 2013 ; 19:531-8
- Obturator Hernia presenting as hip pain to orthopaedic surgeon. Chan PK, Ng TP, Lam YL. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery 2012 ; 20(3):398-401
- Breakage of the radiopaque wire from the medullary tube during closed antegrade intramedullary nailing for femoral shaft fracture. Chan PK, Chan KB, Lui TH, Ngai WK. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery 2012 ; 20(1):118-20
- Bacille Calmette-Guérin osteomyelitis of the proximal femur. Chan PK, Ng BKW, Wong CY. Hong Kong Medical Journal. 16(3) : 299-300, 2010 June
- Arthroscopic fibular sesamoidectomy in the management of the sesamoid osteomyelitis. Chan PK. Lui TH. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy. 14(7):664-7, 2006 Jul.